Friday, January 29, 2010

Coping through Art


The other night I was feeling rather depressed and lonely... I think I must have been hormonal or something, but my roommies and I were watching Pride & Prejudice and I started crying during the part when Bingley proposes to Jane. That is usually my favorite part of the movie, and the happiest as far as I'm concerned. For some reason, however, it made me cry this time. That icky feeling stayed with me for a day or so, until I decided to put what I was feeling into an art piece. As soon as I was done with the piece I felt so much better. It was like I magically transfered what I was feeling into the canvas. It's amazing how art can make you feel so much better about life. It's a great emotional outlet.

3 comments:

  1. I love, love, love this painting! (I'm glad I know that you're feeling better, though, or I'd worry.) I love the composition, the negative space around the subject that increases the feeling of isolation. I love that the girl is ever-so-slightly off center. (metaphor?) I love that the clothing is similar in color to the background, but that the hair stands out vividly. I love that I can't see her face. I can't wait to see this in person sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alison's observations above re this painting are dead on... knowing how you were feeling when you created this art shows me (again and again) your gifts and talent for self expression and beauty. This piece is pertinent to all as it express' not only your 'state' during the moment of your creative inspiration, but it's relevance to any of us who have 'been there'... your expressive beauty is a magnificent gift. Unfortunately much of a gifted artist' work is derived from personal suffering (how else could their art be so poignant and express so deeply it's meaning to the observer...) You have so many gifts, so much to share, so much beauty of self, beauty of art, and beauty of being. I counsel you not to negate nor undervalue the importance of sorrow, for sorrow is but a brief moment in your journey of life, and it is through sorrow that wisdom and depth of character are earned. Once we have overcome our sorrow, the Joy that fills its place in our hearts and souls is that much sweeter and precious! (How do I obtain a copy of this piece???)

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, wow, Kaitlin, this really is a BEAUTIFUL piece! I think the other comments pretty much said it all, but I just wanted to let you know that I think it is quite amazing and that I think YOU are quite amazing! Miss you, DAHLING.

    ReplyDelete