Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Thoughts from the Wee Small Hours...

My roommates and I are horrible at going to bed at a decent hour. The reason for this is because we always discuss really interesting things when we get tired. For example, last night we started talking about acting stereotypes. We discovered that there are 4 categories that all actors fall under: Leading Lady/Man, Second Character (the "Best Friend" type), Ingenue/Romantic Lead, and Character Actor. Most people have a top three, but there is usually one that immediately comes to mind. I, for example, am a Leading Lady, Second, and then an Ingenue. My roommates and I started our discussion about this by categorizing ourselves, and then moving on to different people in our theater department, and then we went on to random famous people. I have realized that this makes casting so much easier. Once you recognize someone's top three you can then begin to play around with casting against type and playing with different situations and scenarios, but this type of classification is a great jumping off point. Just some interesting observations brought to you from 2 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment